Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

rosstyle
Garter
Garter

paper chromatography lab!!!!!HELP

Post by rosstyle » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:17 am

how good is this introduction for my paper chromatography lab;

Plants are the planet Earth’s vital suppliers of oxygen through the simple yet complex process of photosynthesis. Photosynthesis is the plant’s method of storing light energy as chemical potential energy for the plant to use in the manufacturing of carbohydrates such as glucose. This storage of light energy is done through the aid of photosynthetic pigments present in chloroplast. A pigment is a compound that appears the same colour as the light wavelength that they reflect or absorb the least; photosynthetic pigments are such compounds that use the captured energy of absorbed wavelengths for the process of photosynthesis. A typical plant leaf houses around five different types of pigments; chlorophyll a and b, xanthophyll, anthocyanin, and carotenoids. Each pigment absorbs and reflect different wavelengths and thus they appear as different colours once exposed; chlorophyll a and b least absorb and reflect in 500-600 nm range thus appearing as green colour, xanthophyll least absorb and reflect around the 600 nm range thus appearing as yellow colour, anthocyanins least absorb and reflect wavelengths in the 450 nm and less and 700 nm and more range thus appearing as red, violet, and blue, while carotenoids absorb least and reflect wavelengths in the 600 to 650 nm appearing as yellow and orange. An experimental procedure known as paper chromatography is a technique used to separate and identify pigments of plant leaves. The purpose of this lab is to separate and identify the pigments that are present within two different leaves.

I could use some criticism if ppl have some and opinions are welcome (if someone can tell me about the anthocyanin section because i believe its wrong but i dont know how to fix it) THANK U