i confused to identify my new isolate..

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

azarulez
Garter
Garter

i confused to identify my new isolate..

Post by azarulez » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:16 pm

hi..i've a problem here..hope all of you can help me to solve it. I've isolated a bacteria and i've done biochemical test to identify it using API 20 NE kit. the result told me that my isolate is 99.9% chromobacterium violaceum. so, i google some informations about this bacteria..what make me confuse now is all the informations i got told me this bacteria has purple pigmentation due to violacein it produces. but, my bacteria showed pinkish pigmentation..I've done biochemical test for 3 times and it give me the same result. so, my question is, is it possible my bacteria is chromobacterium violaceum? could somebody give me a way to solve this problem..what i'm thinking now is to do 16s rDNA sequencing..is it a good idea?

stopherlogic
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by stopherlogic » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:24 pm

I have worked with a different bacteria that produces the same pigment, it tends to lose its pigmentation over time from my experiences. It could also be to do with the media that you are growing it on see if the pigmentation is stronger on various media if you haven't already.

JorgeLobo
Coral
Coral

Re: i confused to identify my new isolate..

Post by JorgeLobo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:37 pm

I recall diluted media were better for pigment production by Chromobacterium violaceum. Try R2A or 1/2 1/4 strength NA.