Quick question

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

BioSciLife4
Garter
Garter

Quick question

Post by BioSciLife4 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:38 am

Okay, say someone would be an alcoholic, and destroys alot of brain cells. How long would it take for the brain to regenerate cells?
Also can medicine such as methylphenidate, in controlled doses, speed nuerogenesis up?
And i heard OMEGA-3 fatty acids may help this.

plasmodesmata11
Coral
Coral

Post by plasmodesmata11 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:09 am

I answered this question on another site, but then you prompted me to look it up. I was under the impression that nerve cells didn't divide, since they were so specialized and transmitted electrical impulses, etc and they couldn't devote the energy to divide. But now that I looked it up, some people are saying your brain cells can regenerate?? I didn't think they could, and if so, all the ones lost probably couldn't be replaced, and it'd be slow

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:12 pm

Apparently some areas of the brain have a small population of stem cells, but they probably don't work everywhere.

I've never actually been able to find the primary source on "alcohol kills brain cells." I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's one of those "common knowledge" things with no real evidence to support it, or studies just on high-level toxicity.