Shipping of transformed E.coli

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Leia
Garter
Garter

Shipping of transformed E.coli

Post by Leia » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:59 am

Hi,
I just recieved some E.coli with transformed pet-plasmids. They were just sent in normal LB-medium and they have been in transit for about 6 days at room temp. Is that a good way to send them? Don't you risk loosing the plasmid when they can just grow for so many days - especially when they are ampicillin resistant and the ampicillin is broken down?

I hope someone can answer this! Thanks!

/Signe

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:49 pm

well did the LB include amp? of course it's a really bad idea if there's no amp in the medium, because there is no pressure for the cells to keep the plasmid.
but i think you can just plate them on an LB+amp plate, pick colonies, do liquid cultures of say 10 colonies, miniprep the cultures and sequence the plasmids. at least some should have the right plasmid, even if there was a contaminant. Just make sure you have isolated individual colonies when you first plate them
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter