Cell wall lysis

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

PoB
Garter
Garter

Cell wall lysis

Post by PoB » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:32 pm

Preface: I am a mechanical engineer with only a personal interest in biology, so please excuse my lack of understanding or misuse of terms.

My goal is to extract the contents of "spirulina" cells for use as a food colorant. I'd like to maintain the bluish emerald colors that come from the different pigments, but in my brief experimentation, boiling the sample in water appears to harm the blue pigments, and the solution becomes noticeably more yellow/green. Exposing the sample to a low pH solution (H2O and citric acid) extracts a small amount of sky-blue color, and nothing else. A 20% alcohol solution seems to be retaining good color, but I think it may just be keeping the cells in suspension. I'd like to have the majority of the proteins fall out of suspension.

Are there any food safe methods of breaking the cell walls that do not require highly specialized equipment or chemicals?

The spirulina is in dried form, and was purchased as a dietary supplement.

Thanks a lot.

plasmodesmata11
Coral
Coral

Post by plasmodesmata11 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:30 pm

Lysozyme, or concentrated lysozyme, at least, may help. Oddly enough, it is in your saliva, and it lysis cell walls. I don't actually know if it would work, so maybe someone will criticize me and provide a better answer.... but you could try it?

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:55 am

blender?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

jonmoulton
Viper
Viper

Re: Cell wall lysis

Post by jonmoulton » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:49 pm

I'd try detergent. The pigments you are after are the mainly phycobiliproteins and the chlorophyll.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phycobilin