Gene expression

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

roniadam
Death Adder
Death Adder

Gene expression

Post by roniadam » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:35 am

Hi All:

as we know every gene has an allele on each chromosome. My question is that if we have a protein that is produced by more than one gene (e.g. alpha globin wich is produced by alpha 1 and alpha 2 genes on each chromosome). In this case we will have 4 genes from both chromosome. How the globin will be expressed. I mean Is every gene will produce 1/4 of the protein??? Am I right in my thinking?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:51 am

well not really. you see each chromosome has 2 alleles that produce their own polypeptide products. But the fact that a hemoglobin molecule contains two alpha chains does not necessarily mean that one subunit came from one allele and the other came from the other allele. both alleles produce their proteins independently, and then the alpha chains in the cytoplasmic pool combine randomly to give rise to hemoglobin tetramers.

Cheers,
Andrei
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter