Why are new clothes appealing to us?

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

joe7dust
Garter
Garter

Why are new clothes appealing to us?

Post by joe7dust » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:57 pm

I have been musing on evolution for years now, and am usually pretty good at coming up with little theories on why certain things are the way they exist in the world because of evolutionary pressure. I couldn't think of a good answer to this one, so was just curious what you guys think.

Obviously, clothes provided warmth and some basic level of protection in hunting/fighting but why do nice and/or new clothes seem to play such a strong role in attracting mates? I think most of us can agree that a man in old, faded and plain clothes has a reproductive disadvantage when being compared to someone that has good fashion sense and some new threads. But why?

The best thing I can come up with is that, a man who has nice, new clothes also has money to support his family. However, this could be countered by also being wasteful... not too solid in my opinion.

Ideas?

wbla3335
Coral
Coral

Re: Why are new clothes appealing to us?

Post by wbla3335 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:57 pm

I think you are basically right. Females often do the choosing of mates in the animal kingdom, and there are plenty of convincing examples of traits that females consider to be representative of genetic quality. For example, the peacock. When a hen sees a magnificent peacock strutting about, she must think (not that I'm implying that a lot of thought is actually involved): my, my, this stud must have good genes if he can lug around all this excessive gaud and still remain alive. The females of some mammalian species can detect parasitized males by the smell of their urine and avoid mating with them. I'm sure human females use visual clues for judging pedigree. Now, the reason for women liking clothes so much is just a well known symptom of the Double-X syndrome.

joe7dust
Garter
Garter

Post by joe7dust » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:24 pm

"Now, the reason for women liking clothes so much is just a well known symptom of the Double-X syndrome."

huh?

mcar
Coral
Coral
Location: Pilipinas a.k.a. Three Stars and a Sun (300, 000 sq Km)

Post by mcar » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:13 am

Perhaps it is more of psychological nature why many are attracted to new clothes. Newer fashion let's us think or feel nicely. Even when we apply for a job. We need to put appropriate clothes on. Psychologically, we get the attention and praise of the most. However as I see the idea of attractiveness to others, humans are not guided by instincts if we would be attracted to someone. I believe that it's still our emotions that works within; our very feelings for others, of how often we would like to entertain and be with someone.

In certain animal behaviors particularly in sexual selection idea, looks and fitness matter. You won't be attractive to your mate if you have parasitic infestations. Talking about that, I remember the fictional film, Species III.
---Just one act of random kindness at a time and you can change the world---

futurezoologist
Coral
Coral

Money = success

Post by futurezoologist » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:47 am

Money in modern society = success. Therefore more money = more success.
Showing off this money helps --> Buy expensive t-shirts --> appear more successful.
A wise man once said to me:
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Only the fittest chickens cross the road.

joe7dust
Garter
Garter

Post by joe7dust » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:09 pm

"Money in modern society = success. Therefore more money = more success.
Showing off this money helps --> Buy expensive t-shirts --> appear more successful."

Thank you Captain Obvious. I meant why did it originate, long before money did. Clothing originated out of a means of protection (or so I would assume), however the fashion of said clothing did not. Any mentions of modern society and the role clothing plays upon selection today is somewhat irrelevant unless you can tie it back to ancient times somehow.

futurezoologist
Coral
Coral

Post by futurezoologist » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:43 am

Sorry Captain Think A Little Harder i forgot to tell you that money=work... does that help?

A hard worker(or an efficient worker) in the stone ages would be more attractive because this would increase the families chance of survival.

...need i say more?
A wise man once said to me:
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Only the fittest chickens cross the road.