Antibiotics

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

aa84
Garter
Garter

Antibiotics

Post by aa84 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:21 am

We did an experiment to find the effect of certian antibiotics in bacteria. We used E. Coli and M. luteus what I found was that antibiotics that usually show impact on gram positive bacteria effected the gram negative E. coli rather than the M. luteus. The antibiotics used were penicilin, chlorophenold, streptorycin, tetracyclin. all mainly affect gram positive but my results show that e.coli was more effected while m.leutue wasnt/ Can some one please help me explain these results?

mcar
Coral
Coral
Location: Pilipinas a.k.a. Three Stars and a Sun (300, 000 sq Km)

Re: Antibiotics

Post by mcar » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:47 am

Antibiotic actions also vary according to the type of microorganism that they will more likely to act on. For an instance, cephalosporins were developed into different generations depending on their ability to kill or inhabit certain metabolic processes in most bacteria. The M. luteus might not be affected much since the antibiotics that you used in your sensitivity tests does not render potent action to kill the bacteria.
---Just one act of random kindness at a time and you can change the world---

Sepals
Coral
Coral

Post by Sepals » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:25 pm

Why not simply look up the antibiotics in a textbook, it would explain what bacteria the antibiotics targets and how. Lots of textbooks (in libraries and online) have this info.