Identifying gram negative bacillus(rod) bacteria

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

sdrc0708
Garter
Garter

Identifying gram negative bacillus(rod) bacteria

Post by sdrc0708 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:30 am

Hi, i'm currently studying biology in uni and i have this assignment about identifying bacteria using tests and agars

I know how to identify gram +ve bacillus and cocci bacterias but i'm stuck in gram -ve rod bacterias
There's so many!!
i catalogued them in oxidase -ve and +ve but i can't narrow them down!

Oxidase -ve: Samonella, Shigella E.coli, Klebsiella Enterobacter, Enterobacteriaceae, Narsinice, Serratia, Proteus, Citrobacter
Oxidase +ve: Helicobacter, Campylobacter, Vibrio, Pseudomonase aeruginosa, Haemophilus, Bordetella parapertussis

How do you identify them?

stopherlogic
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by stopherlogic » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:50 pm

There are many other biochemical tests that can be performed anther easy one being a catalase test. There are a few good microbiology lab manuals out there.

Sepals
Coral
Coral

Post by Sepals » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:38 pm

I advise you organise the tests as a flow chart to make it more manageable. Those are too many tests to list in a post and all of the info would be available online and in lab manuals/textbooks. There are a number of lectures notes published online on this and the NHS also releases fact files on identifying organisms, such as this one on non-glucose fermenting gram negatives, which might be helpful:

http://www.hpa-standardmethods.org.uk/d ... opid17.pdf