Laboratory Notebooks

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ohiosammi
Garter
Garter

Laboratory Notebooks

Post by ohiosammi » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi everyone!
My brother is a freshman at WSU in Dayton, Ohio. His current major is Biological Sciences. His "top" career goal his to be a Research Scientist for cancer research. He will be taking his first Human Biology and Cell Biology classes this spring. He is extremely excited, but is worried about his Lab Notebooks. He is not impressed with the notebooks in the college bookstore. He searched for Student Lab Notebooks on the internet and found a local company, BookFactory. He said they have a really cool Chemistry Notebook and a Life Sciences Notebook that would be perfect for some of his classes. He really likes that layout of those books compare to the bookstore's books. He spoke with the professor(s) and they would like him to use the bookstore's books, but it is NOT a requirement. -- Does anyone know if it is "bad laboratory etiquette" to use a different laboratory notebook?

KennethMc
Garter
Garter

Re: Laboratory Notebooks

Post by KennethMc » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:35 pm

It all depends on the University and the professor.
** If your brother wants to use the Lab Notebooks from BookFactory, then he should order them. I can tell you that college is stressful enough, and if he has found something that he likes then he should go for it.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:56 am

I have never heard of a lab that gives a rats ass what kinda notebook you use. Usually people just use whatever notebook they can find. It's what you write in the notebook that's important.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:45 pm

My chem lab last semester required a particular notebook designed for the course; your brother should check with his professor and see if the notebook is required or if he can just use his own.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

JorgeLobo
Coral
Coral

Post by JorgeLobo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:25 pm

Sure endorse alex's comment. This not the time nor the venue to presume your prof's directions are not to be followed.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:31 am

oh, this is for a class. I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about doing lab work and recording your observations and experiments in a notebook. Sorry, my bad.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re:

Post by MichaelXY » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:25 am

MrMistery wrote:oh, this is for a class. I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about doing lab work and recording your observations and experiments in a notebook. Sorry, my bad.

No need to apologize, most of my lab class instructors could give a squat on the sort of lab book we use, the ones that do specify in the required book buy list.

ohiosammi
Garter
Garter

Post by ohiosammi » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:39 pm

Thank you for all of the comments.

My brother talked to one of the professors and he said that they can use whatever Lab Notebook he wants to buy. -- He said that he was going to go to http://www.bookfactory.com and buy a couple of notebooks. Has anybody use BookFactory Student Laboratory Notebooks before?

The other professor has not so easy to get a hold of. -- We will see when class starts.

Thanks again.

KennethMc
Garter
Garter

Post by KennethMc » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:45 pm

I actually have used a couple of BookFactory Notebooks for personal and professional use.

Their Inventor's Notebooks are really good, easy to write in and durable. If your brother's professor doesn't care where the students buy the Lab Notebooks, I would definitely recommend BookFactory and their products! I wish your brother success in his college work and career.