Blood Pressure in Males and Females

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Elinor
Garter
Garter

Blood Pressure in Males and Females

Post by Elinor » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:44 am

Hey everyone,

I recently did a lab on heart rate and blood pressure in males and females. The heart rate in females was higher than in males because males generally have larger hearts that can pump more oxygen per beat and therefore can beat less than female hearts.
I thought since heart rate was higher in females the blood pressure would be higher too because of more work on the heart. The blood pressure however is supposed to be lower in females than in males. Does anyone know why?

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by biohazard » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:57 am

The blood pressure is typically measured at systole and diastole, so in that sense it doesn't really matter if your (resting) heart rate is bit faster, the point of measure is that one moment when your heart beats. The control of blood pressure is a sum of many factors and has much to do with certain hormones, age, the state of blood vessels and ionic balance of the body among other things.

I have understood it so that men have an elevated risk of high blood pressure when compared to women, and that is often due to life style factors. I haven studied this matter though, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. The differences bewteen age-matched, healthy men and women should be pretty small, and are probably due to hormonal and anatomical factors.