Pedigree Question:

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

haze
Garter
Garter

Pedigree Question:

Post by haze » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:20 am

Hi all, new here.
I am just inquiring about a question I came across, I dont know the exact way to answer it, I had a question to construct a pedigree then answer some questions regarding the genotypes (none are given to me except being told which individual is infected) instead of writing the question down ill provide an image I made so it saves you time.
The Q asks to work out the genotype of Jenny.
I came with two conclusions.
Both parents must be heterozygous (Ff) therefore the genotype of Jenny could be (FF) or (Ff)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:08 am

well scott and mary are both healthy and have an infected kid. assuming the trait has 100% penetrance, then they are both heterozygous. assuming the trait is rare (everyone that is from the outside and is not obviously a carrier is homozygous dominant), then scott got his bad allele from jenny. thus jenny is Ff.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

ObeseFelix
Garter
Garter

Post by ObeseFelix » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:28 pm

The infected people are autosomal recessive (ff), therfore Jenny would have to be heterozygous (Ff)

bioelemic
Garter
Garter

Re: Pedigree Question:

Post by bioelemic » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:01 pm

i thike it will bee Ff