Origin Of Life forum?

Any comments about the site and the forum go here.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

GaryGaulin
Death Adder
Death Adder

Origin Of Life forum?

Post by GaryGaulin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:17 am

I would like to suggest an "Origin Of Life" forum. It's a topic that scientists are trying to keep separate from evolution but with only an evolution forum present it's impossible to do.

It's not a big deal, I just thought it would be a useful suggestion worth mentioning.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:27 am

I don't think that would be a broad enough topic to merit its own forum. A single thread under the evolution forum could handle the topic nicely enough.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

GaryGaulin
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by GaryGaulin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:57 am

Yes, I thought about that. There are already a good number of forums and adding one more would spread things out even more which is not always a good thing. I would prefer fewer lively forums to a larger number of less lively ones. But in this case scientists and educators are not supposed to mix the Origin Of Life with Evolution and must stress that the two are entirely different subjects. This is in part a response to the ID debate showing that the general public thinks they are the same science and Evolutionary Theory must show how the first cell formed or the theory is false.

I was looking for where a topic on coacervate propulsion and a maybe possible self-assembly of prochlorons experiment would belong but since neither pertains to Evolutionary Theory (and I must never ever confuse OOL with ET) I can't put it in the Evolution forum. My best guess is it would most belong in the General Discussion forum but then again it's such an OOL problem it doesn't seem to belong there either. Somewhat out of frustration I figured I would suggest the forum and if one were added then I would put my question there to help get it started. The General Discussion forum would probably still work, so it's not necessary a new forum be added. It was just on my mind and if you google "origin of life forum" then you'll find there are very few of them with the #1 more for debating the Creation/Evolution issue and I already get enough of that even when trying to avoid it. The lack of a good OOL forum anywhere that I know of on the internet was also on my mind.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:24 pm

gary, i understand your point. it does make sense. But the truth is we create subforums here on the basis of them having enough people to post there. Origin of life is indeed a separate science, but there would simply be too few things discussed there. You can post questions regarding primitive cells in cell biology, RNA enzymes/simple biological molecules etc in molecular biology, and basically everything else in general discussion. you can also post things regarding the evolution of primitive pseudoliving systems in evolution, though as you pointed out, the two fields are best kept separate.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

GaryGaulin
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by GaryGaulin » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:23 pm

Thanks MrMistery for seeing what I was saying about origin of life and evolution needing to be kept separate! It can sound like I am being overly politically correct. But as you know, for practical reasons it is necessary to correct that misconception.

I also have to agree that from what I have seen it is a hard forum to keep going on its own. An exciting thread or two might get started but the science is still so full of unknowns there is not much to talk about after that. So maybe a forum like that is something that will come in time.

With that considered, another probably better idea I had worth mentioning is to redescribe the Evolution forum so it is an Origins forum for discussing Origin Of Life (abiogenesis) and Evolutionary Theory. More or less separate the two right there, but in a way it becomes two forums in one. I can look at that as what I write not having to be spread out all over it can all go in one forum. It's hard to disconnect origins from evolution so might as well keep it all in one place.