Some meiosis help please

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ctn07
Garter
Garter

Some meiosis help please

Post by ctn07 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:25 am

Okay, so I've attached part of the worksheet I have to do for bio II. These are the answers I've gotten so far:
a. 2
b. 2
c. meiosis II
Can someone please check these for me?

Also, I have to draw what the cell will look like when the chromosomes attach to the spindle apparatus. Should I draw them the chromosomes in the letter-letter orientation the are shown in the picture, or should I draw them with the letters going up and down on the X's (for ex: instead of H X h , H X R)
R r , h r

And the last question is to write just the letters that show all the possible daughter cells that could be present after meiosis is finished...I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to do this since I'm not sure how the chromosome with four letters should separate. Thanks!
Attachments
screen-capture.png

plasmodesmata11
Coral
Coral

Post by plasmodesmata11 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:58 am

You got the same number for haploid and diploid? That isn't right.... The haploid number is half the diploid number.
Also, look into the Mendelian principle of segregation of alleles for the answer to your last question. Hope that helps.

ctn07
Garter
Garter

Re: Some meiosis help please

Post by ctn07 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:08 am

Thanks, yeah I was confused because it asked for the diploid number and haploid number of the species from which it was taken, and I took that as the number in front of n --> 2n for both the diploid and haploid. Okay, well I guess I'm still confused about that.