Activation of myosin?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Vangeek
Garter
Garter

Activation of myosin?

Post by Vangeek » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:15 am

Could anyone help me to describe the activation of myosin? Is it when ATPase in the myosin head hydrolyzes ATP to ADP and P which provides energy needed to return myosin head to its prestroke high-energy? Or it is when ATP attaches to myosin head and detach the cross bridge? Please help!!!!

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:21 am

it's kind of a weird question, but I would guess that if I had to pick I would say the ATP-bound state is the activated state..
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Vangeek
Garter
Garter

Post by Vangeek » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:10 am

Complete question was this: Every muscle contraction involved the interaction of myosin and actin filaments. This interaction can occur only after myosin has been activated. Describe the activation of myosin. ??? I guess, without both, ATP-bound state that detaches myosin head, or later ATP hydrolysis that sets myosin head into high-energy config for subsequent cross-bridge, interaction between myosin and actin would not be possible??