Interested in pursuing research in gene therapy

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

operon
Garter
Garter

Interested in pursuing research in gene therapy

Post by operon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:54 am

Hi

I'm doing my final year for my B.Sc in cell/molecular biology and I want to focus my graduate life on gene therapy. How does someone go about doing this since there are no real programs that specifically deal with gene therapy? Should I try to get into medical school, should I apply into a genetics program or a molecular biology program, etc? I want to go for my PhD and I want to know how to optimize my graduate studies to meet the described goal. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT. Also, I'm doing some independent study this summer as a part of my degree requirments and I need to choose a supervisor. What kind of research experience would prove useful for me?

THanks again!

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:24 am

Try bioE. Irina Conboy at UCB does a lot of stuff with stem cells, which with the new Obama admin should flourish.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by biohazard » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:37 am

I think there are various options available: biotechnologists focus on the design and production of gene therapy products and vectors, cell and molecular biologists on the functions on a cellular level, physicians might take part on clinical aspects and so forth. It's important you find a place that has interest in gene therapy and has strong research groups focusing on it. There you can probably find all the abovementioned scientists working in collaboration, and those places usually offer suitable PhD options.

JorgeLobo
Coral
Coral

Re: Interested in pursuing research in gene therapy

Post by JorgeLobo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:47 am

Suggest you review the literature for papers relevant to your interest and contact authors for opportunity.