CHO cell single clone

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

haredy
Garter
Garter

CHO cell single clone

Post by haredy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:57 am

Well, I am new to the field of cell biotechnology. I am working with CHO cell line,
Everyone knows the problem of cho Cells, that is mainly the unstable genetic manner.
mostly what I see while reading the papers for cloning CHO cell lines is some what making me mad,
that people are trying very hard to get to the single cell clone, which they are saying this will give the most homologus clones and trying to see the effect of the gene on this clone set. I totally think that this kind of experiment will statistically gives no good result. In fact, most of the papers published are the same way. I Haveasked people working in industry a direct question do you use the single clone ? they replied no we use the heterogenous pool for production. My question is as follows :roll:
Is the single clone is considered as an effective measure to determine the effect of your new cloned gene in CHO cell line or not. and if yes why and if no why? and what is the different between single cell clone and heterogenous pool in case of cho cell line, I just need someone to think with me
:cry:
Sincerely
A. Haredy

Fruitfly
Garter
Garter

Re: CHO cell single clone

Post by Fruitfly » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:13 am

Hi haredy, I'm also working with CHO cell lines. In any tranfected cell lines, single cell lines are effective to determine the interaction of introduced genes and cells, because if you don't have homologous cell lines (single cell lines), there are very very interaction of them and how you can determine. That is pure theory. In industry, they can't do like that for benefit. When you select single cell lines, you spend more time and more money,such as medium for CHO is 275USD/1 litre...

lalehr
Garter
Garter

Re: CHO cell single clone

Post by lalehr » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:15 am

Hi I am going to establish single cell clones from adherent and suspend CHO cells, my colleques said that it isnt so easy do you had any expereince it that?