Anti-fungals or not?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

pinkypig
Garter
Garter

Anti-fungals or not?

Post by pinkypig » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:44 pm

ok i am very confussed about this...

A researcher at my university when doing cell culutre experiments vows not to use anti-fungal drugs in the medium but all other reasearchers do and i realy do not understand why he doesn't use them?

Does anybody know why he might not use them?

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by biohazard » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:55 pm

I have personally never used anti-fungal drugs in my cultures; good aseptic technique is well enough to keep your cultures clean. Unlike anti-microbial drugs, anti-fungal ones target eukaryotic cells, and thus the chances of side effects are much bigger with anti-fungal drugs. Could you give me an example of what kind of drugs people over there use?

I don't know anyone around here who'd use anti-fungal drugs in their cultures, but then again, it probably depends on many factors, like what cells you use, what's the aim of your experiment and so forth.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:35 pm

I've never heard of anti-fungal drugs in cell cultures either. Just an antibiotic in the growth medium and a good sterile technique were always enough to prevent infections...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter