Subcellular localization of Proteins

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Subcellular localization of Proteins

Post by raghavagps » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:50 pm

Hi, In past number of methods have been developed for predicting subcellular location of a protein. Recently, we also developed a subcellular method ESLpred2 [] . In general new methods are technically sound and more accurate than previous methods. Publishing a paper is one issue and its application in real-life is another issue. Publishing any technically sound paper is not very difficult in any bioinformatics journal. The question is whether it is worth to publish too many papers on subcellular localization.

I wants to know from group members particularly biologist whether they are using these methods for their research work or not. I always feel that bioinformatician should develop method useful for experimentalists not simply technically better methods. I will highly appreciate if you please send your comments whether these methods have any use for biologist or any experimental scientists.

This issue is important for all bioinformatics methods, where we are getting daily new methods but do not know whether their is any impact on society. Bioinformaticains may develop method as per need of biologist but they do not know what is need of biologist. Thus it is important to understand views of biologists.

Re: Subcellular localization of Proteins

Post by mudphudder » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:12 am

even if there is no immediate impact of the work, i hope that doesn't stop you from doing it or reporting it. i think one of the problems with bioinformatics can also be that there are so many really cool methods out there that just haven't been publicized enough. it's a shame for short-term impact but i believe that as long as it is reported at some point the work will be properly recognized.

Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:29 am

the problem with this kind of work is that most "old school" biologists don't trust it. I mean, until someone can come up with a software of 100% accuracy everyone will still do an experiment to determine the protein's location, with the software being simply "a hint".
But alas, I am not a biologist. Just a poor college student.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter