Antibiotic Disk abbreviations

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

karaduman
Garter
Garter

Antibiotic Disk abbreviations

Post by karaduman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:30 pm

I have a Medical Microbiology Report to give in soon and I am stuck at the simplest part. I did an Antibiotic Sensitivity Test for E. Coli and had to use 4 different antibiotics which were:
Ampicillin(25mg/ml) trimethoprim, naladixic acid and cephlaexin disc. Now as you know the disks used for this test have an abbreviation on them which were:
Amp, CL, W, NA.

Can anyone confirm which abbreviation goes with which antibiotic please. I mean Ampicillin is Amp and I am assuming NA is naladixic acid. No idea about the other two :D

Thanks

Darwin420
Coral
Coral

Re: Antibiotic Disk abbreviations

Post by Darwin420 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Weird abbreviations. But you can work it out, you got those two right. Since cephlaexin has a C and L in it is safe to say that CL is the abbreviation. Which leaves W to mean trimehoprim.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:37 pm

If you look at the abbreviations used by BD here:
http://www.bd.com/ds/productCenter/IS-S ... bility.asp
Amp and NA seems correct, but the other are unknown. But maybe a different manufacturer use different codes? In this case I would agree with Darwin420
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

karaduman
Garter
Garter

Re: Antibiotic Disk abbreviations

Post by karaduman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:00 pm

Thanks guys. I think I figured it out. As you mentioned the first two makes sense and by looking at Wiki I found out that Trimethoprim is abbreviated into W, which just leaves CL being Cephalexin Acid. :)

Thanks for the replies.