What are some good books?

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

BioCore
Garter
Garter

What are some good books?

Post by BioCore » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:22 pm

Hi,

I was interested in starting to read some good Molecular Biology books. The textbook for my course currently is pretty weak, and I will be taking more advanced course in the next couple of years but I would really like to start studying a bit more right now.

Anyone have any good books that cover very advanced topics, or cover more detail about the central dogma of molecular biology.

stopherlogic
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by stopherlogic » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:01 pm

What level are you?

Molecular Biology of the Cell (Alberts)
Molecular Cell Biology (Lodish)
Genes (Lewin)

These are good degree level text books, I would ask your lecturer to see if he can recommend any before buying books that may not be of use.

BioCore
Garter
Garter

Post by BioCore » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:13 pm

Currently I am in my second year of University. I am doing intro cell and molec. bio and I find that I know most things so far. So I would like to go ahead, find out more. I will be taking a intro genetics course next semester so I might try to get a head start on that.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:44 pm

For molecular biology, you might also want to consider Molecular Biology of the Gene, by Watson et al.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

beautifulmind420
Garter
Garter

Post by beautifulmind420 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:53 pm

Above mentioned books are really good. I think everyone who wants to pursue their career in research, should have these books. You can also try to find on google book (just write the key words!). Some of them have limited preview, so it will give you more options. I hope this helps!