Need guidance for my Masters in Biotechnology

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ramyaadhinesh
Garter
Garter

Need guidance for my Masters in Biotechnology

Post by ramyaadhinesh » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have completed my bachelor degree in Biotechnology from an Institute in India. I wish to complete my Masters in the Science field, so that I could work on research field.

Could any help me with the best schools in US and India which would be better for my carrier and research field. As per my understanding, to do my Masters in US, I need to complete GRE/TOFEL. But, need more guidance on the process and procedure to get better scholarships.

I know that my question is a bit broad one, if anyone could help me with their suggestion on the field to choose and the school to go in for better carrier, it would be great and I am very much thankful.

- Ramyaa

gotmilk
Garter
Garter

Post by gotmilk » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:47 pm

well some great schools are John Hopkins, Harvard, and some average are Rutgers

mudphudder
Garter
Garter

Re: Need guidance for my Masters in Biotechnology

Post by mudphudder » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Any basic molecular biology or biochemistry program would probably be helpful for you. There are many good schools for these kinds of studies but as an international student, you probably need to apply to many programs. If you want to go to grad school in the U.S., you also might want to consider working as a research technician for one or two years in a U.S. lab before applying for graduate school, plus you would be getting a salary too. Many U.S. college graduates also work as a research technician before going to graduate school.
With regards to funding, why don't you apply for PhD programs? PhD programs are all free in the U.S. and you will get the best training for a career in research.