Food poisoning bacteria

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

junior25
Garter
Garter

Food poisoning bacteria

Post by junior25 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:55 pm

Hi all,

I have a question relating to food poisoning which im hoping someone can help me with.

Im trying to answer the following question:

Describe, with reference to journal literature, how food poisoning bacteria are able to survive and/or proliferate in foods.

The answer must convey a recognition and understanding of:
* the influential factors within foods which influence the growth and survival of microorganisms
* relate these factors to the growth of specific food borne bacterial pathogens
* use information from journals (at least five references published within four years) to effectively explain the relationship of environmental factors and the growth of specific food borne bacterial pathogens

Now i have been able to identify the environmental factors which are oxygen, water, temperature, PH and time, but im confused what the influential factors are and how i am supposed to relate these factors to the growth of specific food borne pathogens. So if anyone can explain this to me or point me in the right direction i will be gratefull for any help i receive.

I have been researching on the internet but cant seem to find any information, i am going wrong somewhere but any one with knowledge of this area please help me out.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:31 pm

You might find this of interest:
http://www.combase.cc/
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

stopherlogic
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by stopherlogic » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:22 am

Influential factors within foods: eg nutrients and other properties of the food, do they often contain high initial bacterial numbers

Sepals
Coral
Coral

Re: Food poisoning bacteria

Post by Sepals » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:17 pm

junior25 wrote:Hi all,

I have a question relating to food poisoning which im hoping someone can help me with.

Im trying to answer the following question:

Describe, with reference to journal literature, how food poisoning bacteria are able to survive and/or proliferate in foods.

The answer must convey a recognition and understanding of:
* the influential factors within foods which influence the growth and survival of microorganisms
* relate these factors to the growth of specific food borne bacterial pathogens
* use information from journals (at least five references published within four years) to effectively explain the relationship of environmental factors and the growth of specific food borne bacterial pathogens

Now i have been able to identify the environmental factors which are oxygen, water, temperature, PH and time, but im confused what the influential factors are and how i am supposed to relate these factors to the growth of specific food borne pathogens. So if anyone can explain this to me or point me in the right direction i will be gratefull for any help i receive.

I have been researching on the internet but cant seem to find any information, i am going wrong somewhere but any one with knowledge of this area please help me out.
You have to explain how these factors give the right environment for the bacteria to grow...there's more such as hygiene...that's a major one... I'm not saying anymore because everything is available on google scholar

keenangp
Garter
Garter

Post by keenangp » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:10 am

Check your school library's website, normally they have a database of academic journals. You just have to punch your query in and bam.. Bacteria galore.