Electron transport chain and DCPIP?

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

19been85
Garter
Garter

Electron transport chain and DCPIP?

Post by 19been85 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:06 pm

Got a few questions which are really confusing me;

Which of the electron transport chain complexes donates electrons to DCPIP and which complex accepts electrons?
Why would cyanide increase the rate of DCPIP reduction?
Lastly how would i estimate the redox potential of DCPIP, what information would i need to do so?

Any help would be grrrrreat!

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:24 pm

you are using DCPIP in working with the electron transport chain? That's new, I only heard of that stuff being used when studying the light reactions of photosynthesis.
Anyway, I have no clue as to where in the electron transport chain DCPIP would fit in, but considering that you say cyanide increases the rate of DCPIP reduction (and since i know that cyanide blocks complex IV - cytochrome c oxidase) I would guess SCPIP sits between complex III and IV. When you inhibit complex IV, DCPIP has nowhere to give it's electrons to and becomes reduced.
then you need to look at the redox potential of complex III and complex IV, and DCPIP would be somewhere in between.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

19been85
Garter
Garter

Re: Electron transport chain and DCPIP?

Post by 19been85 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:31 pm

mmm well i know it has a redox potential of 217 mv!