Studying for Biology.

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

xanniesofly
Garter
Garter

Studying for Biology.

Post by xanniesofly » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:26 pm

I suck with Biology. Even though I read the chapters, I still don't understand the material and end up failing the exams.

I've tried staying up all night studying for an exam.
I've tried study guides.
I've tried taking notes, over and over again.
None of those seem to work.

How do you guys study for Biology?!

PLEASE HELP!

stopherlogic
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by stopherlogic » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Sometimes reading doesn't do it for me either, try recording your classes with a dictaphone to listen to at your leisure. Maybe some youtube and google videos on the subject. Also some text books also have cd roms with good animations.

But beware that anyone can post a video on the internet so the source may not always be reliable.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:17 pm

1. Analyze your failures. Look at what types of problems you get wrong and why. Talk with your teacher on best ways to approach particular problems.

2. Formulate a plan for success based on your weaknesses from #1.

3. Lather, rinse.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

egocentrism
Garter
Garter

Re: Studying for Biology.

Post by egocentrism » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:42 pm

First u have to stop saying - I suck at biology -
2nd ,,, Enjoy it ,,
((We choose the reality we want to believe)).....Me

keenangp
Garter
Garter

Post by keenangp » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:25 pm

These guys are spot on. Try to enjoy it, as crazy as it sounds! If you have the opportunity, become acquainted with your proff or the assistant proff. Sometimes they have office hours and can answer any questions you have. If your school has a bio resource center, study there. Biology majors love to share their knowledge! :)

I like to break things down into units. Jot down the main point of whatever little section you are trying to learn. Do a list of that sections vocabulary which is very important. Then draw a detailed diagram of the process you are learning. Remember, if you don't get it, re-read it. Get some coffee, re-read it.. Google it, then re-read it. Sometimes it just takes a few takes for it to sink in. Good luck!

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:33 am

What I found worked for me is reading the thing, then closing the book and write the process on a blank piece of paper. Then you realize you didn't actually know all the steps. Open the book, read the missing information and try again.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

cregstephen
Garter
Garter

Post by cregstephen » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:08 pm

I think studying any subject depends on the person some love to study form books and some love e learning I personally prefer e learning I have the confidence that one can gain better knowledge through videos added they can grasp better from videos it had saved lot of my time too. Do know some thing I have learnt biology through flash movies ,flash games.
http://www.rapidlearningcenter.com/biol ... ology.html