Synthesize Cytoplasm in Laboratories?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: Synthesize Cytoplasm in Laboratories?

Post by MichaelXY » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:47 am

BiologyIsLove wrote:
Question: Why have scientist been unable to synthesize cytoplasm in a laboratory?

My answer: Even though the substance that make up cytoplasm can easily be acquired--water, dissolved nutrients such as starch and glycogen, etc--lack of adequate technology that would allow the combining forcing synthesized cytoplasm to perform tasks that a natural cytoplasm would do--dissolve waste products, provides a place where organelles could be suspended, and help materials move around--isn't available. Due to all these tasks, the cytoplasm's function is critical factor of a cell's survival.

If you guys can analyze my answer, that be great. Thanks.

Cytoplasm is made up of several things. Cytosol, oganelles, cytoskeleton, and many insoluble particles. What you descibed above sounds more like cytosol.

Also consider that the cytoplasm is surrounded by a membrane which constantly changes the contents of the cytoplasm based on many factors, osmolarity being one.

whirlboy
Garter
Garter

Post by whirlboy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:42 am

i agree ,the cytoplasm not the cytosol

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:13 am

you could never synthesize cytoplasm in a lab, unless you were able to artificially recreate life. The reason is that the composition of cytoplasm is not static, but rather dynamic. Think of it: cytoplasm contains mRNAs that change as genes are turned on and off, it contains enzymes that depend on the stage in the cell cycle, it contains organelles whose number and distribution changes according to environmental conditions....
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter