Question to all Biology professionals

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

lapshin
Garter
Garter

Question to all Biology professionals

Post by lapshin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:39 am

Hi all,

I'm just looking for some input on my situation here. I'm currently a biology major, working full time and taking classes part time. I plan on a career in biology, albeit not 100% sure at this point in which discipline.
But here is my dilemma. While I do ok in math courses, the biggest problem for me is with things like optimization problems, related rates, basically all word problems. Anything where you have to convert a word problem into workable formulas and such, is like walking into a brick wall for me. The rest of math is ok, but this is where I really run into trouble.

Now, my questions is this. Considering how much of all science is based on mathematics, is a career in biology, or in related fields, a dim prospect for someone with a problematic relationship with math? Will I be able to get by on not being Einstein in mathematics while working in biology, or should I contemplate a different career?
Thank you all ahead of time for your input!

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:31 pm

Take a class that focuses on this stuff. For example I'm taking a physical chemistry class that is all about converting things you want to measure into things you can measure example--entropy of a stretching polymer as related to temperature, and tension.

If you didn't know, the great Michael Jordan said that the reason he became so good at taking jump shots was because the defense wised up to his drives and started playing better defense on him.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

jonmoulton
Viper
Viper

Re: Question to all Biology professionals

Post by jonmoulton » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:53 pm

I agree. The best way to sharpen your skills in translating word problems to mathematical form is to work those skills hard. I agree with Mith that chemistry is a great training ground for that skill set, as is physics. Also, a chemistry degree would make you more immediately employable than a biology degree. I finished a BS Bio and a BA Chem then went looking for work in biology -- and found nothing. A month later I broadened the search into chemistry and quickly found job offers. I tell this story to show that there is more potential benefit to squeezing in some chemistry classes than just the sharpening of your quantitative skills. A chem minor, or a chem double major with biology, or even a separate chemistry degree can translate into easier job searches (and higher income). I ended up back in school for a doctorate in biology and found the foundation of the chemistry degree very valuable. After graduation I taught both chem and bio at a university, then moved into industry. Though I work primarily in molecular biology, my chem background is helpful every day. Developing those skills is not a waste of time!