How far have we come?

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

JozenBo
Garter
Garter

How far have we come?

Post by JozenBo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:22 pm

Hello,
I am new here.

I would like to begin by asking a question.

How far have we come regarding our knowledge of human biology?
Where and when do we enter the zone of unknown?
What are our most up-to-date models like and where can anyone find any links on them?

Thank you,
Jozen-Bo
:D

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by biohazard » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:31 am

Well, this is a pretty broad generalization, but I think that what comes to basic functioning of organs and cells we have pretty sound knowledge already. Metabolic pathways, signalling, molecular trafficing, genetics on a cellular level etc. are well understood on many aspects.

However, when it comes to cell-cell interaction, not to mention more complex scenarios involving multiple cell types or subpopulations like the immune system and especially immune regulation, or many aspects of genetic regulation (cancer, developmental genetics, epigenetics etc), there is probably much more yet to learn than what we already know.

I'm studying mainly immunology myself nowadays, and I can tell you that we don't even know all the cells involved in these processes, not to mention that we'd know how the process itself works.
Last edited by biohazard on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:40 am

How far have we come regarding our knowledge of human biology?

there still so many thing we should know.. we are still far from the final. to be truth, i took a human biology, yet.. i think we still need more study. knowledge on human or Homo sapiens in this world are very a big home work for us. for just to take some human morphological data on a far away (very small village in hidden place) it took a month, even we do it with a lot of people. but, hei... it's still morphology not more! and still so many other human outside there that's not yet to be touched. in contrast... Euphorbia tirucalli (pencil tree) was studied for almost 1000 years! yet, there are still things we do not know about it. if you compare it with human.. the more complex organism on earth than that plant.. you can imagine how far we have go :). anyway... the knowledge on human is the most complete among all animal :)..

Where and when do we enter the zone of unknown?

i think we already enter it. many are yet not known by us.. such as do food can effect human behavior or something like that... hehe...

wheel
Garter
Garter

Post by wheel » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:34 am

Yea, we have got so many things to discover merely in the field of human biology. It does take time and effort. It has always been my dream to make big findings about human biology, especially something that can help contribute to the advancement in the medical world. Let's keep our fingers crossed that there will be more youngsters with great interest in biology.
Great thinking, great effort and great spirit produce great work ----- and a great man is born.

mcar
Coral
Coral
Location: Pilipinas a.k.a. Three Stars and a Sun (300, 000 sq Km)

Post by mcar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:07 am

Because of man's curiosity, we really have come that far; from the Renaissance period, the time when people got curious with the structure of living things and at the present, we never stop. We continue in developing new researches so as to find the best cure for cancer and improve the lifestyle of every individual. Medicines are further improved, the technologies and approaches are also upgraded. Nevertheless, we the Homo sapiens will continue for the next 2020, I wonder how the world looks like by that time, and even the people too. Of course the effects of many researches would also lead us definitely to our own destruction. If Einstein had developed one of the WMDs in the old times, what more of man's ability for the next coming years.
---Just one act of random kindness at a time and you can change the world---