Help me come up with a model please

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

blacksquirrel
Garter
Garter

Help me come up with a model please

Post by blacksquirrel » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:14 am

We have the following DNA. It's not known whether they are part of the same gene, operon or whatever but they are on the same chromosome.

reg1--------reg2-------X-------Y

in the following crosses, reg1 means the reg1 region was deleted completely and reg1+ means it's intact. Same for reg2. X* and Y* mean they are mutant copies and X+ and Y+ are wildtype. We have the following observation.

Code: Select all

Expression Level
                                                                   Protein X          Protein Y
        reg1+ reg2+ X* Y+ / reg1+ reg2 X+ Y+                    10                     20
        reg1+ reg2 X+ Y+ / reg1+ reg2 X* Y*                     10                   10
        reg1+ reg2 X+ Y* / reg1+ reg2 X* Y+                     10                    0
        reg1+ reg2+ X+ Y* / reg1+ reg2+ X* Y+                  10                    10
        reg1+ reg2+ X+ Y+/ reg1+ reg2+ X* Y*                   10                   10

So as you can see, X and Y work in trans when reg2 is present but when it's deleted, they only work in cis. I am trying to come up with a model that may egulate teh expression of Protein X and Y and that is consistent with the data above obviously. I've spent hours on this but can't figure out a model that would allow me to switch whether A and B have to be in cis for expression depending on the presence or absence of reg2. Any help would be appreciated.

blacksquirrel
Garter
Garter

Post by blacksquirrel » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:12 pm

anyone?