Yoga versus weights

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Bioslave
Garter
Garter

Yoga versus weights

Post by Bioslave » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:40 am

On a cellular level, why do people who do Yoga tend to be shaped differently than those who lift weights.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:49 am

Bone growth is a function of stress(force/area) and loading frequency. However, the stress portion of the equation is disproportionately weighted i.e. if you work with a heavy weight for a couple of repetitions you'll gain the same amount of bone growth as someone who works with a lighter weight for thousands of repetitions.

Of course, you'll have to look up some similar mechanism for muscles ;).
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Bioslave
Garter
Garter

Re:

Post by Bioslave » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:07 am

mith wrote:Bone growth is a function of stress(force/area) and loading frequency. However, the stress portion of the equation is disproportionately weighted i.e. if you work with a heavy weight for a couple of repetitions you'll gain the same amount of bone growth as someone who works with a lighter weight for thousands of repetitions.

Of course, you'll have to look up some similar mechanism for muscles ;).

Wow.. I was reffering to muscle, but I bet if I included osteoblast activity of bone (which would probably be signifcantly higher in a body builder) I would get some extra bonus points.. I think the answer to this (regarding muscle) is that straining the muscles causes myofibers to synthesize more myofilaments, thus increasing cross sectional area of the arm/legs/whatever versus Yoga which is mostly using slow oxidative muscles.. .. I feel I am on the right track, but I never know with the professor I have now.