animal+plant Cell Mitosis Question

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

cs892
Garter
Garter

animal+plant Cell Mitosis Question

Post by cs892 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:15 am

does the percentage of time spent in phase of mitosis in a Onion Root same as the time spend in phase in Animal Mitosis(whiteflesh blastula)?
i calculated about 24% of time, the onion root is under going prophase, does that mean the whiteflesh blastula is also going under prophase 24% of the time? or is there a difference between animal and plant cell's spending time in each phase?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:39 am

how often the cell divides (and implicitly what percent of its time it spends in each phase) depends on the type of organism it belogs too, the tissue it is part of and the period in the organism's life.
So, Yes.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: animal+plant Cell Mitosis Question

Post by MichaelXY » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:09 am

I agree with Mistery here. Consider constructing a 90 floor building and a house. which one would take longer? Some cells are like the building while others might be like the house...

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:00 pm

Wouldn't it be awesome if your house was so big that it was faster to build the skyscraper?
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:26 pm

I'm pretty sure some people have houses that big. My roommate will probably will.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:10 am

actually... the time when it devides.. as do the go on prophage also depend on the time you took the cells and make the preparation of it. as i know.. the plant cells ussually devide at 09.00 to 10.30. at that time, you may find the highest rate of cell _at_ prophage.. the animal cells may also go with this too.

yet, it may be different when you took the cells from different organs. even from one organs of a animal speciment. too many varieties to conclude it the rate is the same :)

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re:

Post by MichaelXY » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:48 am

MrMistery wrote:I'm pretty sure some people have houses that big. My roommate will probably will.

Well sure it would be fun, but then where will they be? All those rooms, and extra bathrooms to clean. Next thing you know, you have to hire a cleaning staff, and what a paperwork mess that would be. Tax forms, pay ledgers, and let us not forget healthcare.

No thanks, I will stick with my two bedroom, less headache :)