Biology digestive system

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Viixie
Garter
Garter

Biology digestive system

Post by Viixie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:19 pm

Okay ive just taken up A level biology and have been given some homework which to be honest i have alot of revising to do and a little help would be very much appreciated
so..
what regions of the digestive system are most of the following substances absorbed?...
1) glucose and amino acids
2) Alcohol (liver?)
3) Water

Thankyou

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:23 am

Pertinent questions -

- where does most of the absorption of nutrients from breakdown happen?

- since breakdown needs a watery soup to work, where would the water best be absorbed?

- where would small materials that don't require breakdown, like alcohol, be absorbed?

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: Biology digestive system

Post by MichaelXY » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:03 am

- where would small materials that don't require breakdown, like alcohol, be absorbed?

This one left me wondering a bit. Since the ethanol needs to be metabolized into CoA where it can be used as glucose. So I was thinking liver first (Alcohol dehydrogenase) , then blood? But to be honest I was unsure on this.

What made me wonder is the fact that it is released into the bloodstream still as ethanol (which is why it makes you drunk), so the liver and pancreas must act as the metabolizer.