Help?? In BioChemistry!

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

IHeartBio
Garter
Garter

Help?? In BioChemistry!

Post by IHeartBio » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:28 pm

These are some questions...I need some help in!
How does a condensation reaction differ from a hydrolysis reaction?
and
Living Things contain many different proteins of vastly different shapes and functions. What determines the shape and thus the function of a particular protein?
thank you to whoever answers =]

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:54 pm

1.write out the reaction, the difference or should I say similarity should be clear.

2. It is predictably, probably the first sentence(or at least found in the first paragraph) of every genetics chapter.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: Help?? In BioChemistry!

Post by MichaelXY » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:56 pm

1. Each is opposite. So consider what happens when a glass of water condensates.

2. One day there was this big group of amino acids hanging out by the water cooler in quite a disorderly fashion. Frustrated with this chaotic situation one of the amino acids called up his friend Mr.DNA to take charge on put some order into this discombobulated bunch. Mr. DNA did so and brought along a few chaperones to assist. :)

zabida
Garter
Garter

Post by zabida » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:54 pm

How does a condensation reaction differ from a hydrolysis reaction?
I have done something like this, Condensation reaction is the removel of water e.g. when 2 glucose molecules are joining the water must be removed (evaporate) so it leaves one oxygen which becomes the glycosidic bond between the two glucose molecules.

Hydrolysis reaction is (adding water) in a reaction, e.g. if you want to seperate the 2 joined up glucose (maltose), you add the water which makes maltose become 2 seperate glucose molecules instead of one joined together hence the lost H20 is back.

2. It is predictably, probably the first sentence(or at least found in the first paragraph) of every genetics chapter. for this use this web

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=PfUd ... C&pg=PA119
i think this will help with the second question.

I have just studied this topic this week so plz double check the answers
i hope i helped