Lysosomes, Vesicles, and the Golgi

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Conscars
Garter
Garter

Lysosomes, Vesicles, and the Golgi

Post by Conscars » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:29 am

I'm doing a project at school and I would like to illustrate the fusing and blebing of vesicles, as well as the production of lysosomes. My teacher says that lysosomes are produced at the "side" of the golgi, but I'm doing a 3D representation in my drawing and I'm not sure which is the side in the first place. I've looked at some images from google searches, but they aren't helping. If anyone could direct me to a diagram or make a quick drawing in paint, it would be much appreciated.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:26 pm

Do you mean to say that you're not sure which way to orient the cell; that is, which end should be up and such? If so, don't worry about it. Just pick a side to be up, down, whatever, and go from there. Cells can orient themselves all sorts of ways, so it's not that critical to get it in any exact orientation.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

Conscars
Garter
Garter

Post by Conscars » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:36 pm

No, I'm talking about the golgi apparatus itself and from which parts of the apparatus do lysosomes form, and also where transport vesicles fuse and secretory vesicles come off.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:44 pm

Sorry; I must have misunderstood you. This might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Nucleus_ER_golgi.jpg
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:15 pm

lysosomes form by the maturation of prelysosomal vesicles that bud from the trans-golgi network, which usually on the side opposite of the nucleus ( see the drawing provided by alex). However, the cell is extremely dynamic. Just because vesicles travel along that trajectory it does not mean that they have to travel in the same line. I have seen cells that have a dyctiosome oriented sideways from the ER, and I am pretty sure lysosomes can be closer to the nucleus than the golgi apparatus. Though it is convenient and easy to understand when the sequence nucleus - ER - Golgi -Lysosomes - plasma membrane is presented in a straight line, that is not always the case.

Best,
Andrei.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter