Gram positive cocci media

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

stopherlogic
Death Adder
Death Adder

Gram positive cocci media

Post by stopherlogic » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:19 am

Does anyone know of a media that inhibits the growth of organisms other than Gram +ve cocci? (or if not most of them) I know of Baird Parker media but have read that this has more specificity for Staphylococcus Aureus than others.

Also any tests used to distinguish Gram +ve cocci from each other would be helpful, I have been using coagulase activity to distinguish Staphylococcus Aureus from others. As yet though cannot find a test that will distinguish Staphylococcus Epidermis from other species.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:22 pm

I know manitol salt agar (MSA) is selective for Staphylococcus aureus so it won't grow G- bacteria; can't help you with distinguishing G+ cocci from each other, though.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

Biofiel
Garter
Garter

Post by Biofiel » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:31 pm

You can use CNA medium. It is a selective medium for gram + cocci
see also this link:
http://www.biotec.com/FullDetails.asp?product_id=219
You can use katalase to distinguish Staphylococcus species from other gram + species.
So when you combine the coagualase test with the katalase test you can tell if you have determined a Staphylococcus aureus, a coagulase negative Staphylococcus or other gram + species such as Streptococcus.
If you want to know if you are dealing with a Staphylococcus epidermidis you need to do some biochemical tests. You have special systems for that. A simple one is the API system. But most of the time it is enough to tell you are dealing with a Staphylococcus aureus, CNS or non Staphylococcus.

Hope this answer can be of any help

stopherlogic
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by stopherlogic » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:15 pm

That was exactly what I needed, thank you very much.