Question on anaerobic respiration

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

aboynamedsooie
Garter
Garter

Question on anaerobic respiration

Post by aboynamedsooie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:46 am

I'm a bit confused on the lecture my Cellular Biology professor gave today. He covered anaerobic respiration, yet showed a few graphics with the Krebs/TCA/Citric Acid cycle and Oxidative Phosphorylation processes on them. I thought that these were only for aerobic respiration, because I thought anaerobic respiration was simply glycolysis (glucose-->pyruvate), then either lactate (pyruvate-->lactate) or alcohol (puyruvate-->ethanol) fermentation.

Was this an error on my professor's part, or am I misunderstanding something here?

MisterATP
Garter
Garter

Post by MisterATP » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:03 am

I don't think that was professor's error. Maybe he just tried to compare aerobic and anaerobic respiration. The next time ask professor what he kept in mind.

aboynamedsooie
Garter
Garter

Re: Question on anaerobic respiration

Post by aboynamedsooie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:13 pm

Okay, so am I right in thinking that anaerobic respiration consists of only glycolysis and fermentation whereas aerobic respiration consists of glycolisis, TCA cycle, and oxidative phosphorylation?

MisterATP
Garter
Garter

Post by MisterATP » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:05 am

Yes, you're right. Just one spesification: anaeroboc respiration is not just glycolysis and fermentation. It can be production of variuos inorganic compouds depending on electron acceptor (in fermentation it is, for example, pyruvate, and in other case can be sulphate or nitrate ions).