start and stop codon help?

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

go4kil
Garter
Garter

start and stop codon help?

Post by go4kil » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:05 pm

i have this homework and im just not sure if i got the right answer
"the protein coding portion of a section of mRNA is 450 bases long. assuming that the start codon does get translated into an amino acid but the stop codon does not, how many amino acids will be in the corresponding polypeptide?"

i was thinking that it would finish where ever the stop codon is so there is no definit number of amino acids, on the other hand, i was thinking that it would be 450/3=150 polypeptides minus 9 stop codons. can you guys/gals help me out. thank you!

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Re: start and stop codon help?

Post by blcr11 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:40 am

Why 9 stop codons? There should only be one 3-base stop codon. (There can be more than one stop codon, but the way the gene is described I assume you are to consider it a single, cleanly read gene--no small orfs or anything like that, and no splicing, no non-translated upstream or downstream sequence beyond the one stop codon, etc.) So 450 bases, including start and stop, will have 150 (including the starting amino acid) - 1 (non-translated stop codon) = 149 amino acids.

go4kil
Garter
Garter

Post by go4kil » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:15 am

i thought there was 3 stop codons so i multiplied 3 bases x 3 codons and subtracted it to the 150. so the stop codon would be in the end assuming it is a single read gene and not anywhere in between the mrna strand right?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:17 am

yes. You don't generally want to make an mRNA that will only be read half. Not efficient...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Re:

Post by canalon » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:50 pm

go4kil wrote:i thought there was 3 stop codons so i multiplied 3 bases x 3 codons and subtracted it to the 150. so the stop codon would be in the end assuming it is a single read gene and not anywhere in between the mrna strand right?

Yes there are 3 possible stop codons, but only one is used at the same time. So you need to substract only one codon as blcr11 was explaining.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)