Microscope

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Twiggy
Garter
Garter

Microscope

Post by Twiggy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:00 pm

Hello all,

Would anyone out in the cosmic void be able to give me some tips on buying a compound microscope for research?
Thanks!

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:07 am

Honestly I would simply contact a sales rep from a reputable company and discuss what kind of budget and projects you have and see what they recommand. That can be a distributor (VWR or fisher scientific for example) or a manufacturer (Nikon, Zeiss and Olympus are quite reputable).

I have a Nikon eclipse 90i in the lab and find it really nice, but I haven't much experience with other microscope, and depending on what you want to od it might be a bit too much.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Ken Ramos
Viper
Viper

Re: Microscope

Post by Ken Ramos » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:49 am

I would recommend the Zeiss Axiostar. I have had one for years and it has been a great performer and trouble free. Also the Axiostar is built around a complete system from bright field to Epiflourescence. A good reputable dealer would be to contact [email protected](Northern Focus Optical, Jim Janoso). :D

I get no kick back from this dealer by the way, however he is a good friend and an authorized Zeiss Technician :wink:
Ken Ramos, Aviation Ordnanceman USN Ret.
Western North Carolina
"If you see an explosives handler running...try to keep up with him!"
Ken's Nature Study