Monera?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ngdoubleog
Garter
Garter

Monera?

Post by ngdoubleog » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi, I have a project due on the monera kingdom, but as the idiot I am I forgot to write down the model organism I was assigned. If possible, can you try to guess at which organism I was assigned. It started with an "S" I think, and not trying to be obscene or funny or anything here but it had the word "cock" in it. It was a pretty long time but it either ended in an "ie" or "y" or "cock" any ideas what it might be? I know its probobly impossible for you to tell me but i think its worth a try anyway. If not can you give me a list of dare i say it all the organisms in that kingdom?

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by MichaelXY » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:20 pm

Monera is split into Bacteria and Archaea, In bacteria alone there are something like 23 Phyla. It would take quite a bit of work to list all known species but here is a guess.

Staphylococcus or Streptococcus

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:58 am

Monera as a kingdom doesn't really exist anymore; instead, it's been split into two kingdoms of Bacteria and Archea, as Michael mentioned.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by MichaelXY » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:07 am

I think some of the old time professors still mention Monera. My zoology prof did.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:54 pm

I haven't heard of it since high school. Weird.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:05 am

some zoology and botany professors still use it, but not microbiologists.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter