Eductation -- Mixture of Science / Programming ??

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

arthurium
Garter
Garter

Eductation -- Mixture of Science / Programming ??

Post by arthurium » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:48 pm

Hello All!

I am interested in getting a degree in some field of science. I am 26, and have been programming since I was 15, I am very good at it and make a very good living. But I am interested in pursuing a career in science. One that I can hopefully use my pre-established skillset. Even if it's only some of the time.

Now I have the question... What could I be that I can mix science and programming and make a good living?

I am looking at getting at least a masters by the way. Hopefully a Ph.D so I can direct projects eventually. Also, I don't want to get into anything that I won't be able to find steady work (too small a field / etc) .

Things I am interested in...

-- Programming
-- Biology / Evolution / Animals
-- Medical Experiments such as making clever vacines / etc.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:56 pm

Evolutionary science would be my recommendation. I'm currently an undergrad studying environmental and evolutionary biology. One of our professors here is an amateur computer programmer, and he designs his own computer programs to chart and study all sorts of evolutionary trends such as gene flow, mutation rates, species adaptability, etc. Evolution also has very direct application in medicine, such as designing new drugs in response to the evolution of resistance in pathogens. It seems to me like evolution would nicely encompass most, if not all, of your interests.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by MichaelXY » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:21 am

I was thinking Bioinformatics.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:05 am

bioeng.berkeley.edu

check out our different concentrations.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:08 am

Most fields of the life sciences make use of computational methods nowadays. The most money of course is in molecular biology. So if you specialize yourself in that, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find work anytime.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter