I found this weird little critter

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

griffsnuff
Garter
Garter

I found this weird little critter

Post by griffsnuff » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:28 am

Baaah i was looking throught some of my files when i came across this little scorpion looking fellow , and i really want to know what is it cause its kinda cute and ive never seen it before oo;;

I dont have a camera that would take such a detailed picture because of the size so i desided to draw it as good as i got it and it looks exactly like the one i drew, and i also drew a match head to show the size of this fellow, the colours are also like that to

I also live in Norway on the east side near a lake

answeres and information on it would be really awesome C:

Amun
Garter
Garter

Post by Amun » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:31 am

That little guy is an arachnid called a pseudoscorpion (cuz it resembles a scorpion!), so it is in fact related to spiders and scorpions. They eat whatever they can catch, usually small insects and larvae. They're completely harmless to humans though, and actually beneficial since they eat pests.

I hadn't noticed one until a few years ago when I spotted this funny looking thing crawling on some wood, but you can find them almost anywhere, including tree bark, woodpiles, leaf litter, and dusty areas in the house!

A couple interesting things I found out; the females protect their eggs and carry their young on their backs (just like scorpions), and they often latch on to larger insects to hitch a ride.

griffsnuff
Garter
Garter

Post by griffsnuff » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:32 am

Oh awesome :D thank alot ^w^ , ill release this little fellow in the morning then C: