Which biological topics are most important?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

GAG CAT UUG
Garter
Garter

Which biological topics are most important?

Post by GAG CAT UUG » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:17 pm

I’m a high school biology teacher with state standard expectations to cover every known topic in biology in a single school year. As a biology major, I understand and appreciate all biological concepts and wish I had more time to spend thoroughly teaching each. However…

So which topics would you put greater emphasis on and spend a little extra time teaching because you feel that high school students lack knowledge in that area as they prepare for college, and more important - life?

Please rank the following in order of importance:

A) Cell Structure and Function
B) Biochemistry
C) Photosynthesis/Cellular Respiration
D) Cellular Reproduction
E) Genetics
F) Evolution
H) Classification
I) Ecology
J) Human Anatomy

Thanks

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:51 am

Evolution and genetics for general knowledge.

Biochemistry and cell stuff for the science-track people.

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Re: Which biological topics are most important?

Post by blcr11 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:40 pm

My biases are toward biochemistry and all things molecular including genetics, though classical genetics can be both challenging and fun, I guess. So much of medicine and technology is being done at the molecular level these days that you need to have an understanding of chemical and biochemical principles almost, it seems to me, before you start to think about organisms and ecosystems. I don’t mean to short-change more classical forms of biology. I’m clearly in the molecular camp, though. Classification has always bored me unless you can discuss it the way Gould could. But my daughter has a great teacher this year (oddly enough, not her honors biology teacher, but rather, her veterinary sciences instructor) who seems to be able to make classification come alive for her and she likes it.