Chromosome Genes, Male/Female need clarification

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

xazitx
Garter
Garter

Chromosome Genes, Male/Female need clarification

Post by xazitx » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:40 am

Hello everyone, I am new here. One of my homework is with this table http://www.sciencecases.org/gender/gender2b.asp
I have several questions actually, if row 1 is X for Egg, and O for sperm, the the entire row would be all female. The 2nd row "xx for egg and x for male" the first box would be male, and the 2nd would be female, the 3rd row has "x for egg, and YY for sperm" which still would have male for 1st box and 2nd box because of Y chromosome. But I wanted to make sure is this right? if not, please show how it SHOULD be done, this would REALLY help me with this problem, Thank you.

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Re: Chromosome Genes, Male/Female need clarification

Post by blcr11 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:49 pm

The question is, what are the resulting zygotes? They didn’t have to give you the constitution of the gametes, but they did. So, for the first cross, the zygote has no Y chromosome and no second X chromosome, therefore the zygote is female under H1 (no Y) but male under H2 (no 2nd X=M). The different hypotheses make different predictions about the sex of the zygote under the different crosses. The most interesting zygotes for determining which hypothesis is correct are the XO and the XXY zygotes, I think.

xazitx
Garter
Garter

Re: Chromosome Genes, Male/Female need clarification

Post by xazitx » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:20 pm

Thanks