How are bacteria hypertrophic?

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Bio-Hazard
Death Adder
Death Adder

How are bacteria hypertrophic?

Post by Bio-Hazard » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:29 pm

I might not be able to ask a full question, but maybe one of you can associate possible scenarios.
I had someone recently tell me that bacteria are hypertrophic. I didn't understand this statement, because I didn't understand in which kind of environment the person was referring to. Do any of you know how a bacteria could possibly be hypertrophic?

canan5000
Garter
Garter

Post by canan5000 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:06 am

Hypertrophy usually refers to an enlargement of an organ or tissue that in non tumor related and does not consist of an increase in cell number either. So for a bacteria to become hypertrophic I can think of an a couple of scenarios

1. An increase in intercellular water concentration (hypotonic).
2. An increase in metabolitic products or waste and either no way of excreting or a very inefficient way of excreting.

All the above ways though seem to me to lead in death of the bacteria over time, so for a bacteria to become hypertrophic does not seem to be a very good career move.
you have come here because society has no further use for you

Canan