Animal Cloning question

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

SUISSE
Garter
Garter

Animal Cloning question

Post by SUISSE » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:15 am

Hey all

I'm new to this site and to biology and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post so feel free to move it if it's not. I just started a biology class and we're writing an analytical essay, the topic is 'Is it a good idea to clone animals?'. We have to discuss cloning and the advantages and disadvantages. Can anyone give me some information or good sites/opinions?

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:43 pm

It's too broad a topic, really - the good news is that you can pick any group of animals for any reason and be able to discuss it. Domestic livestock? Race horses? Pets? Extinct or near-extinct species? All have pros and cons for cloning.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:57 pm

I think cloning is a rather tricky issue. I think it should only be used to help repopulate endangered species, especially species like pandas that are notoriously difficult to breed. I think more research needs to be done and cloning needs to be better understood before it is used for other purposes.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count