Can we extract a organelles from a cell to another?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ilovebiology
Garter
Garter

Can we extract a organelles from a cell to another?

Post by ilovebiology » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:23 am

I would like to ask that if it is possible to extract an organelles out of a cell to another cell ? Because this questions interest me very much. And is this call as modifying the cell?

MisterATP
Garter
Garter

Re: Can we extract a organelles from a cell to another?

Post by MisterATP » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:00 pm

As I know, nucleus can be transfered to another cell and that cell acquires new properties so it becomes modified cell. What about others organelles, I am not sure. I think it is more simpler to fuse two cells and on this way to get cell with foreign an organelles that extract orgenelles (whem such an ER, Golgi would lost native structures).
But why are so interested in this question?

Wingnut
Garter
Garter

Post by Wingnut » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:36 am

You can certainly isolate organelles such as mitochondria and chloroplasts quite easily. I am not aware of any experiments involving tranferring isolated mitos or chloroplasts into other cells, though I'm sure it's been tried.

However, this happens in nature all the time. I have studied nudibranchs that incorporate organelles from their prey into their own cells -- chloroplasts in some cases, nematocysts in others. These organelles retain their function in their new host, so it seems reasonable that other organelles might as well, at least in some instances.

I would predict in most cases that the introduced organelles would fuse with lysosomes and be degraded fairly quickly.