How is a polypeptide synthesized?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

unnuovogiorno
Garter
Garter

How is a polypeptide synthesized?

Post by unnuovogiorno » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:16 am

Hello

How is a polypeptide synthesized after a strand of mRNA has been formed?

Any responses or links to helpful (and hopefully not hard to read sites) would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:15 am

"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

crazydavid1628
Garter
Garter

Post by crazydavid1628 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:08 pm

polypeptide synthesis is divided into 2 processes (transcription and translation)
During transcription, a strand of mRNA (Messenger RNA) is produced using the genetic code of DNA.
Then they will go out to the cytoplasm.
At the same time, tRNA (transfer RNA) use their specific code to get the amino acid in the cytoplasm.
Three tRNA molecules can code for one amino acid (with the specific arrangement of the nitrogenous bases, e.g. AUU, CCG etc.)
Then they transport the amino acid to the ribosomes and meet mRNA molecules)
The mRNA molecules will expose its bases in sets of three, called codon. They will match with the anticodon on tRNA molecules.
The tRNA molecules which carrying the second amino acid positioned next to the first one and they will link together by forming peptide bond.
Then the first set of tRNA molecules will release the amino acid (At this point, the amino acid is 'sticked' to the amino acid next to it, so it does not need the tRNA molecules to hold it anymore.) and go out to find another amino acid which match the code of the tRNA.
After some pairings, a long chain of amino acid is formed and this is the polypeptide. The protein will be released to the cytoplasm.

I am just a form 3 student. I am not very sure whether this concept is correct. If I have said anything wrong, please tell me and I will improve.^^

gamar
Garter
Garter

Post by gamar » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:18 am

gamar
Garter
Garter

Post by gamar » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:20 am