So, is this how Eye Color Would Work?

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

5FeJuggernaut
Garter
Garter

So, is this how Eye Color Would Work?

Post by 5FeJuggernaut » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:57 pm

I recently finished my Bachelor of Science in Biology and throughout the entirety of my studies I never found the answer to a question I had about my own Eye Color. After finally sitting down and reading the Wikipedia Article on Eye Color, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color, and guessing that it is at least semi-accurate, I have drawn some conclusions. I will list my thoughts on the subject as I go. Sorry for any segways, that's how I think.

I have, for the most part, always had blue eyes. I say this because I remember certain times during middle school were I would come home and look in the mirror and note an exceptional shift from my usual dull-blue to vivid and deep green color. Not thinking much of it, or knowing much about biology at the time I assumed that it was mood related or some other such nonsense and began to lament not having that uncommon and attractive color all the time. As I entered high school I no longer noticed any changes and figured that it was a random occurrence resulting from the effects of puberty.

I am of mixed European (English, Italian, German, and possibly some French) decent. So I may have the necessary genes for green eye color that for some reason are going unexpressed. Green eye color may be a mutant form of the melanin which produces brown and hazel eyes, but at the very least it is a pigmentation, and blue/gray eyes are usually results of lacking pigment.

The days when I remember noticing changes in my eye color I had always been playing in wooded areas. In late elementary school I started wearing glasses, which block UV light to a partial extent, and when I would play in rough terrain I removed them to prevent scratching. So UV light may have queued, at least temporarily, a production of pigment changing in my eye color? Upon reaching high school and becoming self conscious of my image, thank you public schools, I switched to contacts, which totally block UV light from reaching the inside of the eye.

Conclusions: My natural eye color may actually be green. Eye pigmentation may be expressed after exposure to UV light. (I hate to say it, but similar to an "Eye Tan.") I have not noticed any changes because my living indoors/switch to contact lenses has since blocked the majority of UV light from reaching my eyes and causing my natural eye color to be expressed.

Next Monday I have off from work and I'm planning on trying to spend the day outside without contacts in to test my theory. (This should be fun, my contacts are D -3.00.)

Did that make any sense? Has anyone down any of their own research on the subject/know of any research that may be pertinent. And finally I thank anyone who posts constructive questions or comments.

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:29 pm

What you're discussing sounds like it's a lot about how color perception works - what we see is influenced by all of the colors in our field of view. Eyes don't change color (not over shortterm time frames, anyway), but how they appear to others can vary from place to place, time to time, even turn to turn.

kyletay
Garter
Garter

Re: So, is this how Eye Color Would Work?

Post by kyletay » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:38 am

He may have some what of a point. Thought the color change in our skin comes from melanin...