Blood Types

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

bionewbie
Coral
Coral

Blood Types

Post by bionewbie » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:08 am

Just a question that I wasn wondering about:

What is the most common blood type in Canada and how does it relate to the country's climate?

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:46 pm

The most common blood type..I think it's following the world's most common blood type which is A and B. and I don't think that Blood type is related with climate..it's related with hybriditation.
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

Chris4
Coral
Coral

Post by Chris4 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:23 pm

Sorry victor, O+ is the most common blood type. about 38% of people in the world have it, including me. Your right about the climate thing tho.

Type Frequency
O+ 38%
A+ 34%
B+ 9%
O- 7%
A- 6%
AB+ 3%
B- 2%
AB- 1%
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:25 pm

Actually, I can think of a way that blood types can be influenced by climate. If it is hot outside, i can wonder around and sleep with women from other towns... If it is cold there is a higher probablity of me marrying my next-door neighbour(Which by the way is very hot :D )
So it can be influenced by climate, but through hybriditation

biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by biostudent84 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:39 pm

Chris4 wrote:Sorry victor, O+ is the most common blood type. about 38% of people in the world have it, including me. Your right about the climate thing tho.

Type Frequency
O+ 38%
A+ 34%
B+ 9%
O- 7%
A- 6%
AB+ 3%
B- 2%
AB- 1%

When referring to the ABO blood type, Victor was partially right. If you refer to the blood cells having or not having antigens, then A or B is the most common. More people have antigens than people that do not. However, if you refer to antigen types, then, yes O is the most common ABO blood type. Also, people more often than not have the Rhesus factor, designating them + instead of -.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:59 pm

85% have the Rhesus factor, to be exact :wink:

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:35 am

@Andrew:
Yeah, I know that climate influence a little bit about a "new" blood type :lol: . When it's cold climate, you said that you'd get in to the house with your "hot" neighbour and who knows that two people get in and then three people get out.. :lol:

Um, they said that O type is rarer that A or B (forget about the + and - first). My sister have to do an O blood transfussion every month and the hospital said that they often lack of O blood type..

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:55 pm

Look into your own data. If you add them you will see kyle is right.

biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by biostudent84 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:14 am

victor wrote:@Andrew:
Yeah, I know that climate influence a little bit about a "new" blood type :lol: . When it's cold climate, you said that you'd get in to the house with your "hot" neighbour and who knows that two people get in and then three people get out.. :lol:

Um, they said that O type is rarer that A or B (forget about the + and - first). My sister have to do an O blood transfussion every month and the hospital said that they often lack of O blood type..

The lack of O blood can also be explained by the fact that O is the universal donor. As an A+ type, I can recieve blood from someone with O+ blood should A+ not be available.

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:07 pm

Well..by this time it's restricted that you can use an O to change the lack of A+ because they afraid that there're some other factors that can make those two coagulated/aglutinated. So, now O is for O and A+ is for A+ but the fact is they stil lack of O...
We can see it from the hybriditation table also...only persons who have a blank isoaglutinogen factor (i) can make an O blood type if the (i) meets other (i). This is only happen for 25% if the couple is A heterozygot and B heterozygot

biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by biostudent84 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:53 pm

victor wrote:Well..by this time it's restricted that you can use an O to change the lack of A+ because they afraid that there're some other factors that can make those two coagulated/aglutinated. So, now O is for O and A+ is for A+ but the fact is they stil lack of O...
We can see it from the hybriditation table also...only persons who have a blank isoaglutinogen factor (i) can make an O blood type if the (i) meets other (i). This is only happen for 25% if the couple is A heterozygot and B heterozygot

I've never heard of this. At our hospital, we still give O+ to all rh+ patients, and O- to all rh- patients. We also give anything rh+ to AB+ and anything rh- to AB- patients.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:43 pm

That is very strange. All my premed anatomy books(and by all i mean both of them :D ) clearly state: the rule that you can give 0 blood to anyone and that AB can get blood from anyone(providing Rh matches) only goes for one transfer, and maximum 500 mililtres of blood. If you repeatatly use 0 blood as universal donor for the same receiver, you might have the chance that the receiver fabricates anitzero aglutinines and, at a new transfusion, they will atack the rd blood cells of the donor. For large and repeated transfusions, izogroup transfusions are strongly recommended.
This book is written by one of the greatest doctors in my country, so i would look into this matter if i were you