Biochemistry help?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

NewtoBiology
Garter
Garter

Biochemistry help?

Post by NewtoBiology » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:59 am

Hello Biologists

I am just studying exergonic and endergonic processes (WHICH FRIGHTFULLY sounds like chemistry!!!) butI am wondering if anyone can help verify if my rational is correct.

Glycolysis: the breakdown of glucose is an exergonic process.
Lactic Acid Fermentation: endergonic process due to encorporation of ATP and NADH
Cyclic electron Flow:exergonic
Calvin Cycle: endergonic process

Am I correct on my assumptions of the above biochemical processes?

Thank you so much

new to biology and EEekkk sometimes chemistry...

Imammstcnerd
Garter
Garter

Re: Biochemistry help?

Post by Imammstcnerd » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:15 pm

Lactic acid fermentation makes energy just not as effiently as Krebs cycle. fermentation happens when there is not oxygen. such as when exercising. the build up of acid from fermentation is what causes the "burn"

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:51 am

Yup, you can see whether the process is exergonic or endergonic by calculating the free Gibbs energy. If the calculation yields a negative result, th the process is exergonic and vice versa.
As far as I know that lactic acid fermentation is a quite exergonic process with a slightly negative free Gibbs energy. So, this can be seen as an equilibrium process ( which catalyzed by lactate dehydrogenase) between pyruvate and lactate because zero Gibbs energy means an equilibrium process.
My suggestion is that don't just see the process whether it's exergonic or endergonic, because like redox reaction, exergonic processes are coupled with endergonic processes to drive them. Example is that in electron transport system. You can see that the electron flow is an exergonic process which the energy carried by electrons are released to the system. But it's also an endergonic process, becaus the released energy is used to drive the ATP synthesis.
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

Yasaman.herandy
Garter
Garter

Post by Yasaman.herandy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:25 am

I have a problem related to both biology & chemistry:

Carbon monoxide is willing to combine with hemoglobin more than oxygen. This is the reason why this gas suffocates us!

I searched a lot, but I couldn't found anything about the most suffocating gas after Carbon monoxide!

Can anyone help? I'd appreciate it! & sorry for my awful English!